Facial Mocap with iPhone LIVE FACE
The iPhone profile is an ideal facial expressions capturing solution in the industry. It offers a steady facial capture method, achieving the more precise capture quality by utilizing the TrueDepth Camera to get rid of lighting interference. With the help of a Wi-Fi connection, performers do not need to be restrained to a certain location and as such the motion capture experience can be enhanced dramatically.
- An iPhone X or later models (compatible with any iPhone / iPad enabled by TrueDepth camera for facial recognition).
- An iPhone holder (recommended for initial capturing setup).
Please follow the steps below to capture your facial performance with an iPhone.
- Install the iPhone profile for the Motion LIVE 2D plugin.
- Apply and select a character in Cartoon Animator.
- Click the Motion LIVE 2D button on the Add-on Toolbar.
Alternatively, go to Plugins >> Motion LIVE 2D >> Motion LIVE 2D.
The Motion LIVE 2D panel will appear.
- In the Gear List section, find the iPhone with a red hollow circle under the Facial group.
- Connect an iPhone to your computer, then launch the LIVE FACE App on your iPhone.
Make sure your face is shown on the screen through the front camera, and the Face ID bars on the bottom keep changing while you make expressions.
Notice the popup tip with an IP address on your iPhone.
If it disappears, tap the Info icon on the top-left to show the tip again.
- Return to the Motion LIVE 2D panel. Type in the IP address shown on your iPhone, and click on the hollow circle to activate it.
The circle will turn solid, which indicates that the device is now connected to Motion LIVE 2D plugin.
- In the Character List, click the drop-down button beside the Exclamation button in the Face column to assign a gear.
- Select the iPhone device from the list.
You will see the icon of the gear shown in the cell.
- Click the Preview button and press the Space Bar to
preview your real human facial expressions on the virtual character.
For better capture results, click the Set Zero Pose button to reinitialize the facial expressions.
Click the Record button and press the Space Bar to